Monday, September 9, 2013

Insaka-the Meeting Place




Ever since Erik and I visited last year, I have had this wonderful structure stuck in my mind. The kids saw pictures before we moved here and begged to have one built by our house.
An Insaka is a round structure with a thatched roof. The sides are sometimes left open or mud walls are built halfway up. To me, an insaka encompasses what I think of when I think of Africa. It reminds me of the front porch scene in America before we all had air conditioning and television. The insaka serves as a meeting place and socializing area for the traditional Zambian household. It can serve as an outdoor kitchen during the hottest parts of the year. Those who find it hard to sleep in the heat of the house will often use the insaka as their sleeping quarters.
In a Zambian village, each household often has their own insaka. As evening falls, the family will gather there. The elders take advantage of this time to teach the young ones traditional values and responsibilities. Skills, folklore and tales are passed over to the younger generation. Oral records of events are learned here, in the insaka.

(See more at: http://www.zambia-advisor.com/insaka-the-traditional-zambian-meeting-place.html#sthash.bZ23jKan.dpuf)

So, call me slightly romantic and highly idealized, but I find these structures very endearing. I love the lesson the Zambian people are teaching me of taking time talking about what matters with our children. When we arrived, we learned an insaka was being constructed on the farm. 
getting the thatch ready

thatching the insaka

inside the insaka looking up, this was before the thatch was finished.

Jonas in the nearly finished insaka


Whenever I pass the insaka I think of the responsibility we all have to our children and grandchildren; the people we work with, the people we live near, the people we rub shoulders with each day, the people we love and even those we don’t always feel love for J God gifted us with language to pass on the wonderful account of the life of Jesus. He has given time and grace today to speak of who He is and what He has done. We can use the insaka to remind us of the exciting task He has set before us of being about His business of teaching others His wonderful plan of Salvation. May His name be glorified!

2 comments:

T and M said...

love this visual : )

Nichole said...

oooo, I like that. I want to build an insaka :)