Monday, July 1, 2013

Lesson from a seashell

I have this thing with seashells. I am totally enamored with them. Their intricacy astounds me and always brings me to marvel at our Creator.

Did you know that what these crustaceans eat is what causes their coloring? A steady diet causes spiral patterning whereas an inconsistent diet causes spotting on the shell. Did you know that they can either be left or right shelled? (Check out the opening and you will see what I mean)

While we were in Florida, I really wanted to find a certain type of shell. As I walked along the beach, I found myself talking with The Lord. "Father, I know that You are in control of all things....I know it wouldn't be impossible for you to place a banded tulip shell right here on the beach. I really would love to find one." I walked silently, searching the sand and the incoming surf. No more than 2 or 3 minutes past when I met a woman in the surf. When I was parallel to her, she threw a shell up on the beach right in front of me. "Here!" She yelled "that's for you!"


Bet you already know what type of shell it was don't you? Yep, a banded tulip!

I yelled my thanks back over the sound of the waves and continued on my way, back to talking with Father. "Wow God! That was awesome...but I really wanted to find it MYSELF" and then reluctantly I added, "unless You've got something else You're trying to tell me."

I was able to walk in silence longer and wait for an answer. And this is what I heard Him say, "you know Carrie, this is a perfect illustration of your life right now. You can't possibly hope to accomplish this on your own. Quit rebuffing others gifts that they are bringing before you. You have the privilege of seeing the church, my body in action. 

And that, is TRUTH. We have been humbled and amazed as His people have rallied around us. We are totally blown away by the love and generosity that has completely surrounded us. YOU are an incredibly important part of a team who are serving the poor and orphaned in Zambia.

May each of our hearts be enlarged and encouraged as we join our Father to be His hands and feet.

3 comments:

Nichole said...

It can be so hard to accept others gifts, because in that we feel like we have to admit that we are weak, or not independent, or whatever other lie Satan is telling us. But we can often learn so much more when we are willing to accept those gifts. I love you, dear sis!
And I love those facts about shells. I am going to have to look at the shells your kids gave to mine, and see what kinds there are :)

MJM said...

Thanks for sharing that, Carrie. It was a good reminder to me that I don't have to do it all myself, and that in fact, He wants to take care of me. Loved the pics in of your work day getting your house ready to sell! "Work your butt off business" loved it!! praying for all of you, and looking forward to sharing the adventure with you. ~Julie

DanielleS said...

We talked about this last week and this past Monday night at Bible Study with the volunteers at Gateway! God is so good to lovingly teach (and teach again) the lessons that ultimate bring our hearts closer to His heart. Continued prayers for you.